There are different ways that you can reschedule, cancel, or update classes in Sawyer for Business. (This article will cover how to cancel, override, and extend schedules. To reschedule a specific day of a scheduled activity, see the article on Rescheduling Classes.)
Note: The only time providers can change their semester/camp time frame without removing bookings is if they are adding dates to the schedule. In all other cases, providers cannot remove or change schedule dates if bookings have already been created for those dates. If you need to make a time frame adjustment you must remove the bookings first. You can see the workaround here.
Editing start weeks, amount of weeks, and closings/holidays in Semesters or Camps:
To edit the start week/day of a semester/camp: go to Schedules, then click Semester/Camp Actions:
- For Semesters, click into the field Starts the Week of to edit the starting week. The current start week is highlighted in red. Click the existing date selection to deselect and select a new starting week from the calendar. Click Save in the top right corner of the screen to save your changes. Click Save again if you are done making edits to your Semester.
- For Camps, click Days. The current camp days are highlighted in red. Click the existing dates to deselect and/or select new camp days from the calendar.
To edit the number of weeks in a Semester:
- Click the drop-down menu under “How many weeks is the semester?” and make needed adjustments. Click Save in the top right corner of the screen to save your changes.
To add or remove holidays in a Semester:
- Click into the field Holidays/Closings. The current holidays are highlighted in red. Click the existing date selection to deselect or click additional dates to create additional holiday closures. Click Save in the top right corner of the screen to save your changes. Click Save again if you are done making edits to your Semester.
Reminder: Once a schedule has enrollment, you will need to transfer or cancel the existing student bookings before making adjustments to Schedule details and activity dates.
How to cancel a specific class day
- Go to Upcoming
- Click into the class that you need to cancel
- Click the three dots menu to the right of the Message button near the top right of the roster page
- Click Cancel Session
Note: Canceling a class does not communicate to customers that it has been canceled and does not refund them. You can send a class-wide email using the Message button and issue refunds to each customer if you so choose. Canceling a class does not impact the cost of the semester for new customers.
How to override scheduled activity dates
- To add an extra class or override a date of one specific scheduled activity in a semester, click Edit to the right of that particular scheduled activity, then click the Override Semester Dates button, make any necessary adjustments and save.
- Activity days that have bookings cannot be overridden. To remove bookings, you can remove or transfer a student or cancel the class day.
- The Override Semester Dates feature is specific to Schedules > Semesters and does not exist for scheduled activities in Schedules > Camps/Events
- Students who registered for the entire semester prior to this adjustment will not be on the rosters for the new class days. If you would like them to be, you will need to manually add students to the new dates/class roster when overriding or extending scheduled activities. This adjustment will automatically apply to any new registrations for the class but will not automatically enroll previously registered families.
How to extend a Semester or Camp/Event
- Go to Schedules > Semesters (or Camps/Events)
- Click on the time frame: Semester Actions or Camp Actions > Edit
- Then, to add new dates to all of the scheduled activities in a semester or camp/event date-range container, extend the number of weeks (in a semester timeframe) or add a specific date (in a camp/event timeframe) and click Save. This will add the new date to all scheduled activities within that semester timeframe.
- Check Pricing! If the timeframe has already started, this adjustment may impact proration so make sure to double-check your pricing setup from both the scheduled-activity setup and the register page for customers. (Proration takes the total price and divides it by the number of activity days in the semester. Canceling a single class does not remove it from the schedule and extending the semester adds more activity dates to divide the total for proration purposes).
- Note: Students who registered for the entire semester prior to this adjustment will not be on the rosters for the new class days. If you would like them to be, you will need to manually add students to the new dates/class roster when overriding or extending scheduled activities. This adjustment will automatically apply to any new registrations for the class but will not automatically enroll previously registered families.
- This will change the dates shown in your Upcoming view, in the parent portal for anyone who is already registered, and on the register-page calendar for any new customers. However, this will not automatically notify clients that a change has been made. You can use the Message button from the roster to contact the entire roster at once and let them know.